Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Advice wanted on eating in the evening

Hello everyone,

I have thought about posting about my struggle for a while now, because it's not really easy to talk about it for me. But I have experienced so much helpful advice on here, that I want to give it a go.

I am working out regularly and enjoying it a lot, which is a huge win for me, because I used to have a really troubled relationship with exercise and food (exercise as punishment for food, a way to not feel guilty about eating, forbidden foods etc). The eating on the other hand is going semi-well ;) I am trying to lose weight, I have a BMI of almost 29 and borderline high blood pressure as well as diabetes running in the family, which I do not want to get.

I am meal prepping for the week and eating farily well during the day, but then comes night time...

I am really exhausted when I get home from work (I have started to work full time after a year of studying for a huge exam, which I successfully took while working 60%) and I am really worried about catching COVID, which is also affecting my mental health. I do manage to work out 4 times a week, which helps my anxiety. But after that it's like every energy is just completely gone away, I eat my dinner and then just keep on eating until I go to bed. It's not a binge, just constant snacking (not on anything in particular, sometimes it's sugary stuff, sometimes leftover dinner, etc).

When I wake up I feel horrible about myself and I feel old thoughts creeping back in, that I do not want, because I have worked hard to recover from those (you have to compensate etc).

I would love advice or to hear about your own experiences - how can I stop the eating at night?

Thank you in advance and for reading all of this :)