D
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Mini-movement breaks

Hi folks:

I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for developing mini-routines during the day, to "pause" during a long day of sitting.

Ultimately, I'm sure that everyone has their own favorites. I've gone through periods of doing body weight exercises (squats, pushups, burps, etc) during breaks to rev up my energy, slow Qigong or yoga movements to get relaxed after a tense hour of sitting, and recently doing kettlebell swings to get some muscles pumped as well as aerobic energy.

But here's a suggestion: The "Carl Sandburg" exercises (made famous by Rip Esselsyn of the "Fire Engine" workout) and Dan Millman's "Peaceful Warrior Workout' have a particularly nice sequencing of dynamic stretches. I find these amazing in terms of a fast pick-me-up in the midst of long hours at the computer.

One more tip - I have done these on and off, somewhat compulsively following every exercise exactly as directed. however, it's only recently I realize I have tended to put off doing them because there were one or two exercises that just didn't work for my body.

So here's my suggestion - look at everything you've come to love from Fitness Blender, take a look at the Carl Sandburg (on youtube) and Peaceful Warrior exercises (also on youtube) and put together your own routine.

Try doing just 90" at first, and see what it's like to do some swinging and other dynamic stretches. Maybe take some from Kelli's or Daniel's warmups. Notice that when you feel like 7 or 8 minutes is just too much time away from work, you really have no excuse not to take a 90 second break.

Then you may find that 2 minutes, 3 or even 4 minutes is a break you just can't pass up.

If you try this, I'd love to hear how it works out! Thanks so much.