Follow up to Pilates Alone post

Hi, I read a post on FB the other day titled ‘Pilates Alone’ https://www.fitnessblender.com/community/discussion/22662/pilates-alone and have been thinking about it over the past few days and though I would respond here. Firstly, some background info. I have been working out consistently with Fitness Blender for the past 7-8years, 6-7 days a week and am in pretty good shape. I am a member of FB Plus. Back in May 2020 my partner (who is incredibly fit although doesn’t train with FB) completely severed his Achilles tendon doing weighted hill sprints and required surgery to reattach it. As he had to stop training his normal schedule I though I would change my routine up also.

So, I started doing Pilates, only Pilates & have continued that since May 2020 (5/6 months). I started with a 30min a day program through Moving Mango (YouTube) and have increased as my strength and knowledge has to an hour class each morning (6-7days) and sometimes also doing an additional 20-30 mins in the evening as I really enjoy it. I now do all the advanced moves & have even invented some of my own “more” advanced movements.

Kirstylou asked in her post about losing muscle, tone and gaining body fat, in my experience I don’t believe I have lost muscle, I have actually gained more toning and definition through my legs and abdominal (although todays photo I am up approx. 1kg due to female hormones and that’s all in my tummy. I am a fair bit pudgier this week 😊). The top photo was in January this year when I was doing FB workouts entirely, the bottom photo is this morning. I don’t think I have lost any muscle through my shoulders or chest although I don’t believe I have gained any either although I am ok with this as I was becoming increasingly mindful about the size of my biceps. My weight actually dropped by a couple of kgs’ in the first 4 weeks as I found naturally I wasn’t eating as much and has remained steady.

What I have gained from this experience is more day to day functional strength, a greater amount of body awareness through movement, I’m more flexible, have better posture and my lower back is stronger and doesn’t ache and I do seem to have located an inner peace that I can tap into. I miss the full sweaty, completely out of breath feel at time, but I wanted to fully commit to this experiment.

Pilates is a full body workout although just like every type of training make sure you are doing an all-round program and not focusing on a particular body area. They do concentrate on the upper body as well as the lower and do also incorporate light cardio. Occasionally I strap on 1kg ankle weights and even less often I pick up only 2kg dumbbells for use during certain movements through Pilates class. I haven’t noticed a decrease in my cardio endurance when we do a fun run with the dogs. The 2 Pilates instructors I refer to are Hannah from Moving Mango & Move with Nicole. I will return to FB programs but have decided to finish this year out with the Pilates. Like everything you get out what you put in, so focus on body resistance, on engaging all muscles you can during each movement and also on lengthening the body. Oh and I will be 47 in January.

Sorry for the long post but I feel sometimes Pilates get a negative wrap.