NSV: I ate a doughnut!

Hey there, Fitness Friends! I had a victory today that was really part of a greater victory - one that I’m still very much working through - and I just wanted to share.

I ate a doughnut this morning! This may not seem like a big deal, but to make a long story short, over the last couple of months I’ve realized that I have had an unhealthy view of food for myself. I know what to tell other people about eating, but couldn’t seem to apply it to myself (e.g., food isn’t inherently bad, an unhealthy meal won’t ruin your progress, enjoy your food, etc.). I realized that I have had a “diet mentality” for about, ohhh...30 years! 😮😩 Ever since I was a teenager and went from having a skinny little girl’s body to a woman’s body. I have tied my worth to my weight, to whether or not my favorite jeans fit, to cellulite (which is NORMAL!), etc., etc. I have looked at food and hunger as an enemy, felt guilty and ashamed if I didn’t eat “perfectly” during a day or had a cookie outside of a “cheat meal.”

It has felt like bondage. No more. I’m done. I’m tired of fighting against my body, of feeling guilty when I eat, ignoring my body’s hunger cues, or saying “I can’t have that” out of fear.

So here’s what I’m doing. I’m still eating healthy. For the most part. If I crave chocolate, I have a little. I get seconds if I’m still hungry. I’m not going to read every label to make sure it’s within what I’ve deemed an acceptable calorie range. I’m no longer counting calories. I’m not judging my hunger by someone else’s (e.g., heaven forbid I eat more than my husband). If I’m hungry, I eat something rather than convince myself I’m just thirsty, or trying to see how long I can go until I “give in” and eat.

And when a friend came to church today and said, “I brought you a doughnut to say thank you for all of your effort in singing on the music group,” I made the conscious effort to not freak out and calculate the calories and fat and reject the kind gesture... I ate the doughnut. And it was delicious!

If making peace with my body and with food - and learning to eat intuitively - means I gain a few pounds, then OH WELL! My mental and emotional freedom is worth it, and my worth is still intact.

Guess that wasn’t a long story short. Thanks for listening 💛

Edited