I took a week off and this is what I've learnt

Hey FB Family,

Here's something I want to open a discussion about, and encourage sharing -Take a break, when needed.

I have been doing continuous FB programs/Challenges one after another since March, 6 times per week. As some of you may know (or not), in the past 2-3 weeks I have been coping with extreme fatigue and recovering from a suspected Covid episode. Now, when I had symptoms and was sleeping all the time due to lack of any energy, I was on week 2 of Strong Challenge. So you know, "just 3-4 days more, I can finish this challenge, I have never not done something that is scheduled"….this was me. I did unfortunately go through with week 2 while feeling miserable, with no energy whatsoever.

I then took the next week entirely off. My first sentiment was intense regret. Regret of why I did not do this earlier, why I did not listen to my body when I had to. We all know "listen to your body" probably as the one thing we can do to be grateful for all that our body copes with. While I was doing all workouts low impact due to chronic back issues, I was clearly not doing enough to actually be receptive of what my body was hinting at.

The Break week changed my approach to workouts now. Here is what I have learnt:

1. By taking a well needed break you are never losing anything. You are actually saving time by not being vulnerable to injury that might set you off for longer.

2. Breaks can be in many formats: A complete pause, reducing from 6/week to lesser, reducing the weights (going bodyweight even), toning down the intensity (such as going Low Impact), changing the workout to suit your need for that day, or modifying heavily any workout to suit your condition.

3. Break week allowed me to realise wellness isn't hurriedly moving from one workout to another. You need to take the pause period as seriously as you dedicate time for workouts. In these uncertain times, allowing to consciously unwind mentally, physically and emotionally is vital. A lot of Blenders, me included, know this very well, but are hesitant to take the break needed. Have to say this community greatly encouraged me to take my break.

4. A (complete) break allows you to recover physically from any residue fatigue you may be carrying around. Once that is covered, you start missing your workouts and long to do them again, this is a shift from dreading them when you aren’t able to push yourself.

5. A break allows you to see that it isn't a very big deal, you start becoming flexible mentally. For example, now I don't feel guilty in not being able to do a workout that is scheduled for that day -I do one of the following in point 2. I adjust and in doing so take care of myself.

Currently, I am taking it very slow and doing You Choose challenge, mostly picking pilates based workouts.

So there. If you need a break, take it, your body will thank you! 💜

I encourage other Blenders to share your "Break" stories so that those of us who are hesitant for whatever reasons would learn from fellow Blenders here.

Thank you, and have a relaxed weekend, y'all!

Meme, courtesy Sharon, who posted this to me when I wasn't taking the break I needed 🤗