Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

working out vs. relaxing

So, as I ahd seen several messages about taking breaks and listening to your body, I became curious. Since February 17,2020, I have exercised 6 days per week, with exercise on at least 6 Sundays (my usual rest day) until this past Monday. I have listened to my body and increased and decreased the intensity, changed or delayed a day or two of a program and done stretching routines instead, and even shortened the length of my exercise time on occasion. Tuesday morning, I got up early as usual to do my workout, noting that my vertigo symptoms were starting to make their typical autumnal appearance (still trying to tuss out the reason for those) sat down, and realized, it was time to rest. I dont know why it hit me then, but I felt that this week, I would not hurt excessively if I didnt stretch and "lube"my joints for the day. I just felt like I needed to sleep in those extra30-40 minutes more than I needed to move. It is Weds. now, and I am still moving at the same ability levels, with about the same pain intensities. Maybe, just maybe, I am starting to figure out this body.....

I hope everyone that struggles with missing a day can feel better about taking a break and see that you are not skipping a day of exercise, you are giving yourself a day of recuperating and recharging.