Challenging Myself : WO11 "Currahee"

Hi everyone ! Hope you're doing well.

Yesterday was a hell of a day so, even if I worked out yesterday morning, I only report about it today.

Today's song : Running Up That Hill By Within Temptation (Kate Bush cover)

Workout : Specific trail training

In the miniserie Band of Brothers, the first episode called "Currahee" is centered around the training of the soldiers. Currahee is the name of the hill, if I remember correctly, near the base that serve for the conditionning of the troops. It's 3 miles up and 3 miles down.

Living on top of a cliff with multiple roads to get there, I decided to do my own "Currahee" type of training on an abandonned road. it's about 2 miles down, 2 up, with some parts over 12% incline. I gave myself 1 hour to run (well mostly walk) down and up that hill. As it took me 12-15 minutes to get there at a moderate walk pace, I used this time as a warmup (same thing after the workout for the cooldown + some stretching on my own, mostly glutes and quads, back at my place).

The weather was really nice, with a bright sun, blue sky, cool temperature and no wind. As it's an old road I had to pay attention both at the uneven incline/decline and the holes on the ground. It made a perfect training to work the strength and stability of the ankles, something I struggle with, since years of practicing basketball, even at an amateur level, left me with some old injuries.

Not gonna lie, I felt discouraged at times. I only came back to work out 6/7 weeks ago after months of limited physical activities so it was hard. Glad I went for that road and not another one that I used to train with which is only 1 mile long but at a constant 13% incline (that one is a killer, with no breather).

It's a specific trail running training. As trail running needs you to be able to run/walk efficiently up and down, a part of the training is to do that multiple times, on a set timer, on a single "trail" to train your legs in that kind of effort (well I'm a beginer and I'm not that strong , so I'm learning, lets put it that way, the best trail runners do that on 20% incline natural paths). So that's basically what I've done, and why I've done it. I met a local trail runner training on that same road a short time ago. He was fast (but also a lot fitter that me :d It's hard to get my old carcass up there :D).

Obviously, I haven't recover all of my lower body strength. that's something I will work on patiently during all winter so, comes the spring, I can start a season long of walks and running. I took a huge hit the first 6 months of this year, regarding my lower body and general health so it's no surprise that I struggled yesterday. But time is on my side ! (well I'm 37 so better not waste too much time either :D not getting younger by the day :))

Overall

Stressful day ! didn't want to wake up, didn't want to get up, hard time dealing with my glucose level which stayed too low all day so that might also explain why I struggled. I also lost my phone there so had to buy another one. I stumbled on a guy at the grocery store who was arguing with everybody because WE are mandatory required to wear a mask indoor and HE didn't want to. So he pissed me off with his yelling AND his behaviour. and, of course, like everytime I'm stressed, my diet was very unhealthy.

But that was yesterday. Today I'm chillig with cool music, and a cup of tea while typing this. Probably gonna play some bass guitar later and some games this evening. I also have to do today's workout, the final one of this challenge, which is just a stretching/yoga routine to make peace with my body. :) Then, I think tomorrow, I'll post the final report of this challenge. It will be finally time to make some conclusions about the experiment, before returning to the shadow of anonymity.

Hope you have some good plans to relax to this week end. Feel free to comment whatever you would like the world to know.

Have a nice day/evening/night depending of your time zone :)