7 benefits from working out with FB for 1 year (+before and after results)

On the 3rd of September I had my 1-year anniversary of working out consistently with Fitness Blender! *woohoo, throws confetti into the air*

I’ve worked out with FB on and off for several years but could never really stick to it and only completed one program as I can recall.

One year ago, I was feeling frustrated that I had gained nearly 40 pounds during the past 5 years (transitioning into my 30s was a TOUGH time for me!), and no matter what I did, they didn’t come off again.

So after a 2-week vacation last year, I felt rested and refreshed and had the drive and desire to try FB again.

After seing many awesome before and after photos and videos, I hoped that I too could experience that same drastic weightloss result.

*Can you tell that my expectations are about to be crushed? Muahaha. But don’t worry, it’s not all bad*

I don’t know about you but my body is STUBBORN. It holds onto every gram of weight like a shark holds onto its prey: it will NOT let go.

Now, I should mention that in all those fancy bodytype systems I am all the round, soft, and squishy ones: pear-shaped, an endomorph and a romantic bodytype in the Kibbe bodytype system (which is more of a fashion system, but whatever).

So going into this a year ago I KNEW that I couldn’t get my expectations up (but we all do anyway, don’t we!) and that it would require discipline and consistency. Ok, deal. Let’s go!

I was pleasantly surprised by how disciplined and consistent I was and it was fascinating to FEEL how my body slowly changed and got a wee bit more toned throughout the year: first my front thighs, then the upper part of my abs (where the ribcage ends), then my love handles or whatever they’re called, and lately I’ve felt changes in my stomach area and back. Plus, my little double chin almost vanished. Woohoo!

I completed 6 programs! FB30 Trial, FB 30 rounds 1-4, FB Abs 1, and I’m halfway through FB Abs 2!

I feel SO accomplished! *proceeds to pat herself on the back*

...aaaand I gained around 7 pounds of bodyweight...*crickets*

WHAT?!!

Yup. My exercise mat is filled with blood, sweat and literal tears (ok, but maybe not blood) from a whole year of exercising, and I gained weight!

My scale and I have been sworn enemies ever since I stepped on it a few weeks ago.

Now, I KNOW that this must be because I've gained muscle mass and have toned overall, but it’s odd how a scale can nullify ALL the good things you feel you’ve accomplished. “Oh, you feel you’ve made progress? BOOM! Check out this number on the scale - don’t feel so good now, do you!”

“Screw you!” I defiantly crossed my arms in front of my scale and gave it my best Greta Thunberg stink-eye. I refused to let this ruin my awesome experience this past year. Because I HAVE made major progress. Just check out these before and after PFT results (Granted, my latest was 4 months ago. I haven’t done a PFT since starting the abs programs, but still):

First Push-ups: 5 full / 24 half

Latest Push-ups: 23 full / 32 half

First Squats: 50

Latest Squats: 53 with 10 kg dumbbells

First plank: 1 min 25 seconds

Latest plank: 3 minutes!!

First sit & reach: minus 2 cm

Latest sit & reach: + 6,5 cm

And the thing is, exercise isn’t just about losing weight. It’s about gaining health and wellness. And health comes in all different shapes and sizes, so don’t judge yourself only by the number on the scale.

So instead of losing weight this past year, these are the things I’ve gained:

1) Strength (I’m particularly proud of my squats and static plank results)

2) Flexibility (I’m well on my way to becoming a professional contortionist. Ok, maybe not, but maybe someday, lol)

3) Higher cardiovascular endurance (I’m not as winded when I’m sprinting to the bus because I ran late in the morning...again!)

4) Stable mood (My hangry episodes aren’t as often or last as long and I’m overall happier/content.)

5) Toning. (It’s SO satisfying to see the subtle changes in my body.)

6) A healthier body-image. (This one is huge! I no longer see my body in the negative light that I used to. I’m proud of what it can do instead of what it looks like. I’m not perfect, though - I still have some days where I’m not as content, but hey. Progress!)

7) I FEEL better in my body (despite what it looks like or what the scale says. Hell, some days I even feel smexy! Lol. Confidence boost, check! And weirdly enough, I’ve come to think of my belly rolls as little and cute, because I know they’re getting smaller and someday they won’t be there anymore. Anxious attachment-style to belly rolls, perhaps? Haha)

So there you have it - my rollercoaster journey towards better health. Going forward, I won’t be focusing on the number on the scale but instead on non-scale victories and how I FEEL in my body. Also, I'll be focusing more on my diet, and taking before and after photos. (I regret not having done that this year, but oh well.)

What has been your favourite non-scale victory? Comment below so that we can collect some other things to focus on (other than the number on the scale) to keep us inspired and motivated to keep working out.

And last but not least - thank you Fitness Blender for helping me become a healthier version of myself, physically and mentally.

Workout year complete!

Edited