HKS (Healthy, Kind Support) Accountability Group August 31st

Happy Monday morning everyone! I’m delighted to be hosting this thread this week, and I want to reming all blenders that everyone is always welcome to jump in, join in and add a comment or two :)

Here’s a thought for you today:

“Your fear is 100% dependent on you for your survival”

Steve Maraboli

At age 38, I overcame my paralyzing fear of flying. That fear was instilled in me by my father, who never trusted the technology behind flying. For many years, I had dreamt of seeing the Canadian Rockies, but I couldn’t fathom going by car or train, as it took much too long. I would look around on websites to see how much airfare would cost. And for some reason one day, I actually purchased two tickets to fly into Calgary, to get to Banff. And then I knew there was no going back.

In true Martine fashion, I then did a ton of research on what to expect at the airport, what to expect at security, what the airplane model was like inside, etc. We went to the airport in Montréal to watch planes take off and land. I spoke to a colleague who flew regularly to get his take on his experiences. I bought medication in case I got too nervous or nauseous, I was ready. And then I cried like a baby all the way through the boarding process and take off.

But overcoming this fear allowed me to enjoy the most amazing trip of my life so far. I would never have had the chance to hike up to the Plains of Six Glaciers at Lake Louise, hanging on to ropes on a cliffside along the way and walking barefoot in icy cold water on the way back. I would have never gone up by cable car to the top of a mountain and take in all the wonder of the Rockies. And I would never have seen water in such blue colours that I had never seen, such as Moraine Lake in the picture above (when the sun comes out, the water is really THAT deep turquoise colour), my favourite place.

Have any of you overcome fears in your life, which in turn allowed you to enjoy it even more? Fear is an obstacle, I’m learning not to let it get in my way.

So today I’ll be tackling Kelli’s Brutal Butt and Thigh Workout for Fat Burning and Lean Muscles, as part of the Kickboxing challenge. Looking forward to seeing if my hips and back will allow me to lift heavy today. What workout do you have planned today? Or perhaps it will be a rest day to recuperate and recharge?

Whatever you choose, make it a great day! 🙂