I struggled.... but YAY I did it!!!!

Next week our seaswimmers club will be doing a 3.5k seaswim. As I will be in Scotland then, I won’t be able to join in. Also, I like swimming on my own because then it’s my tempo and mine alone...

anyway I decided I would try and swim that distance this week. As I swam 3.8k once before (in a perfectly flat, sweet water lake), I thought I would slightly increase that distance, like make it 4k. As I knew it would take me around two hours in water temp of 17 degrees, I swam with a top (neoprene at the front, rash vest material on shoulders and back).

Well, I set off in well nigh perfect conditions, enjoying it all the way out. When I nearly got to the turning point, I realised the sea was getting choppier and there was a noticeable current. I turned round, still pretty happy (counting in Swedish and in Italian and singing to keep boredom at bay), but then as I was swimming along the current against and choppiness made itself really felt. I changed from front crawl to breast stroke a couple of times and then realised after 2.5k my fingers were going a bit numb.... that’s when it became a struggle! Instead of happily singing and counting away the meters, my head was filled with “this is a struggle! I can’t do it... yes, you can! Come on, keep going, only 1 and a bit more km to go... keep going, come on...”. By that time I had spotted my husband on the paddleboard who was keeping an eye out for me. I wanted to tell him I was struggling and wanted to get out... but he was just a bit too far away for me to shout at him. So I thought I will keep going till he is a bit nearer. And on I struggled. I also swallowed a fair bit of salty water as the waves would roll in as I was sighting. When I got to the point that I knew there were only 300 meters left, I decided: “I am going to make it... come on come on!” But it took me so long.

But I did it. I got to my starting point after 4.2k (aka 168 lengths of a 25 meter pool). I was exhausted, cold through and through and had difficulty walking back to my clothes on the sand. And worst of all: no feeling of exhilaration, just near to tears... but now, after a 15 min hot shower, lunch and several hot cups of coffee it is sinking in, that distance in those conditions is not a mean feat!

I DID IT!!!! It is only now that I feel a bit of the exhilaration I had hoped for... my son called me “hardcore” when I told him the distance. Maybe I should hang on to that word: HARDCORE!

#happywithwhatmybodycando

#evenwhenistruggled

#IDIDIT

Photo shows me (the orange towbuoy) on the way back, no longer as aware of my beautiful surroundings 😂! And best of all: hubby offered to take over my turn to cook!!!

Edited