Personal Journey + reminder of importance of rest and food = especially for women!!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post this little message about my fitness journey and some tips for any women out there suffering with the same sort of thing...

Bit of background I am 5,8 was around 115lbs but then went to 99lbs

So being a college athlete I was working out everyday for at least 2-3 hours on top of my law degree (stress) while under fueling (I was eating 1900 calories with my coach saying this was FINE) AND I didn't think anything was wrong until I realized during lock down that I had missed 4 cycles. I thought everything I was doing was so so healthy and my coach would tell me not to cut back as apparently many other women also had this problem (and he was telling them it was NORMAL!), while my doctor told me that it's not a problem and I should just start taking pills...

I started researching on my own and found just how dangerous it is - not to mention infertility, heart problems down the track, low estrogen, bone health and depression. Everything I was doing was considered 'healthy' - but In reality I was working out excessively without fueling properly and was under stress. This creates a whole heap of problems. I went to another doctor who explained just how much I was under fueling - I was eating and tracking (I know, bad idea) 1900-2000 calories whereas now I have been told to eat a minimum of 2,500 with an aim of 3,000. The hardest part though was the stopping of exercise (only walking is allowed haha) as I feel like I will lose my fitness. This has turned out to be a rant but I want everything who thinks that they have to work out everday - strength or HIIT, you don't and it can cause a whole heap of problems! I reason why I have gotten in FB is the reminders of rest and a balance. Listening to you body is so so so important as your body knows what it's doing - if it asks for rest or food, it needs food!! For example, our ancestors didn't count calories or track everything but just getting active and moving is key.

I just wanted to say, is anyone else suffering from this??

Alex