T
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Advice - stuck between weights

Hey all,

Sometimes when I am doing certain strength exercises, I am stuck in between weights - able to do the required reps with a lower weight with no struggle, but unable to do all the required reps if I go up a weight.

For example, yesterday one of my routines had hammer curls in it. I was able to do 15 lbs per hand for 10 reps on the first set, but on the second set, I could only do 7 reps and had to drop to a lower weight. That said, if I did 12 lbs per hand, I know I could easily do 2 sets of 10 without a struggle.

I find this happens most with upper body, and I'm getting to a point with certain exercises that I have to make a 5 lb jump per hand. Another example: my chest fly with 15 lbs is easily doable for 10-12 reps, but trying to jump to 20 lbs per hand feels like a giant leap. And I don't have 17.5/18 lb weights. :-)

What's the best strategy when you're stuck between weights and want to get to the next level? Is it better to go with the heavier weight and fail out with lower reps, or to stick with the lower weight and do more reps to create endurance before trying for the heavier weight?

Thanks for the advice!

Tracey