Daily Check-in: Monday, August 17th + Kickboxing Challenge Review

Hello FB Family!

Remember me?

You know, me; the one who tends to ramble on and on and kinda make these half attempts to connect the daily pictures I post to the day and or mood at hand so everything can sorta make sense. Except I'd rather make dollars.

Anyhoo, let's do check-in stuff! ..The tranquil waters in today's picture today has no real connection other than to possibly snuggle in with fitness here as the lil' gator in the pic could elevate your heart rate.

...Hm, I suppose gator sightings are not the best/healthiest/most ideal way to get the heart pumping, so let's leave that to the workouts and tell me how you are getting that heart going good! ..I finished the kickboxing challenge last weekend, so for today I'm excited and looking forward to trying out the new total body strength workout from Kelli: https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/total-body-strength-workout-intense-strength-supersets-with-feel-good-cool-down

And Regarding the kickboxing challenge, I have some thoughts about it, so I decided to write up a little review and post it here. Feel free to skip it to return to the normal check-in.

***Kickboxing Challenge Review***

If I'm being honest, I have mixed feelings about the kickboxing challenge. What I loved was that it is tough, but doable. I very much enjoyed 3 KB sessions a week and by the end definitely noticed an improvement in my coordination. My punches became more punchy and focused. My speed increased. I struggled less with the combos. Hah, I never knew there was room for improvement until I did 2 weeks of this training style.. And sorry, Daniel, you were right in the way most of the time, and what I aimed for, but not (okay, maybe a little with some crazy combos) the source of my frustrations. I can say that fist swinging, kicking and a general violence to the air does help with stress and by the end of the two weeks, I was also feeling less sore in those weird places kickboxing uniquely delievers. Also, with all the jogging in place/not staying flat footed during kickboxing, your calves get a decent workout. So remember to give your calves extra stretching! Mine really needed it.

And while I did hit myself in the face from a non coordinated uppercut that was bound to happen sooner or later, that's not the reason I have a little problem with the challenge. I never question how K&D put together a program. They are masters of sewing together these workout videos into something awesome, so maybe the problem is more on my side. I'm really careful to avoid working the same muscle groups two days in a row, so when there are total body days in between the kickboxing upper days, well, I know upper body is getting worked some on those total days.

Now I know I can modify, lift lighter or do the pilates options provided in the first week. So again, it's not a real problem; maybe a different kind of challenge and part of the toughness. But on week 2, there is an upper body strength sandwiched between 2 KB days. So basically, I feel the upper shouldn't be worked again, albeit it's worked differently via strength, but still, in my mind it is/feels like upper body three days in a row. To me, it didn't feel like alternating muscle groups. And not very beginner friendly, especially if you are new to kickboxing or go hard on the UB strength. You will be very sore! So much that someone new to kickboxing could easily be too sore to do anything upper body related the next day. So I advise to reschedule or modify heavily.

I don't mean to speak badly of the challenge or be too critical. I love kickboxing! I love all of K&D's hard work they pour into everything. But I feel a little put off by this structure and wanted to share my thoughts. Overall, it is a wonderful challenge, I'm more than likely overthinking it, and I think I will be doing some more kickboxing this week as this challenge is a reminder of how good it is to mix things up and truly challenge yourself! So if you're thinking about it, give it a try! Or if you are already doing it/finished it, what did you think about it?

***End of Review***

Okay, now let's get to the many fun, healthy, and tasty flavors of your day. That's right; what are you eating, what am I eating? Both as of right now is a royal I don't know. Can I serve that with air fries? Okay, I'll figure it out, but clearly in the time I was gone, I've gotten no better at this planning thing.🙈

And speaking of the time I was gone, I want to thank you guys so so much for a lovely week of guest hosts! I had a very nice break. Maybe too nice as the problem of being gone so long is that it's so easy to slip away and get a little too comfortable in the silence as I can be a bit anti social. You should see me in a crowd, lol... But, it is great to be back. Feels like home and I really missed you all. I didn't lurk as much as I thought I would, so I look forward to chatting with my FB Fam again!

And I must mention once more; the variety of ghosts this past week was superb! You all are amazing! So thank you for hosting and thank you guys for always continuing to check in here and be ever supportive. Couldn't ask for a better bunch! Truly :)

So with all my rambling for today, I hope the only takeaway is that you have a marvelous Monday and wonderful week ahead!

***Note: These Daily Check-in posts are open to anyone and everyone who wishes to participate! All are welcome here! These check-ins are a way to stay motivated, accountable, and be supported as we all try to be our healthiest selves. Feel free to pop in and say 'hi' anytime, and post as much or as little as you wish! No prerequisites here! Feel free to add photos if you want as well! Whether you need advice about working out/eating well/life in general, just want to comment, or maybe need support during a hardship--we're here for you! So: Welcome to the FB Family, and to the Daily Check-ins! We appreciate you being here!***