Healthier Cake 😊

This is technically a baby smash cake recipe. I made it for my sons birthday, but I fell in love with it! I make it as muffins.

Cake Ingredients -

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 banana, very ripe

3 strawberries

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/4 cup whole milk or any milk

1 egg

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Icing -

1 cup whipping cream

1 tbsp maple syrup

(I skip the icing for muffins)

Preheat the oven to 350F and butter and flour a 6″ springform pan*

In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Place the banana, strawberries and applesauce together in a blender and mix on high until completely pureed.

In another small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the fruit puree, the milk, egg and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and carefully stir with a large wooden spoon until just combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before running a knife along the edge of the pan and removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

If wanting to create 2 layers, use a long piece of dental floss to cut the cake through the middle. Wrap the cooled cake in saran wrap until ready to place on a plate and frost.

Frosting -

Place a mixing bowl and beater in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours before you are about to prepare the whipped cream. Pour the whipped cream into the chilled bowl, and beat on high with an electric mixer until the cream is the consistency you prefer.

Frost the bottom layer of the cake first, then follow with the top layer. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve*

It is really good! I replace the strawberries with large Fiji dates sometimes.

This is taken from a website called loveinmyoven