J
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

What now?

I just finished Fit Rnd 2 today and took my fitness test.

Background: I have been a distance runner for about 13 years, but as I turned 50, I’ve been frustrated by weight creep and loss of muscle tone. So I put running aside to just do Fit for 8 weeks.

I spent the first week and a half getting a handle on the different movements, but after that, I put my heart into it, only missing 2 days (I substituted swimming instead). I was comfortably sore most days, and now I see more definition in my arms and hamstrings. Beyond that though, my PT test shows a mixed bag of results.

My mile run and planks are the same, I have improved by about 10 each on my pushups and squats. My flexibility decreased.

Body measurements and weight are almost the same as well except for an INCREASE in my hips, arm and thighs measurements. One thing that concerns me is that my resting heart rate has increased from 62-63 to 70-71.

So what now? I’ve purchased BoredEasily. I’m wondering if I should move on to that? Or repeat Fit (though as a teacher, my exercise window in the morning is shrinking.). Should I add running back in and do some kind of mix of running and FB?

Ultimately, I’d like to build more muscle and lose 10-15 lbs, focusing on functional fitness. I’m concerned about the change in my resting heart rate as I’m heading into my older years, and I just kind of miss exercising outside (though I can push that off until the heat of August passes.)

I’m open to suggestions!