7 weeks of themed workouts πŸ‹πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ€ΈπŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ§˜πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Hello hello FB family!

So by the title of this post you're probably thinking 'what on earth is she going on about?'. Well just kick back relax, grab a nice warm drink, or cold if your country is having a heatwave like us 😭, and I will tell you how this all started!

So I have always wanted to own a FB program of my own but I unfortunately cannot afford one which means I am using all of the workouts for free. I do however watch the adverts to give some money to K&D so I like to think that even though I cannot purchase a program, I am still helping them as much as I can 😁. So with this in mind I wanted to create my own type of program that suited me. I personally cannot workout for 5 days due to some chronic issues so I do 3 total body exercises per week which is totally okay for my body.

So now that was sorted I needed to think of a theme. Now as some people in HKS thread may remember, I mentioned that I am fond of video games and I created a program around a certain character. I'm sure that many of you have heard of the character Lara Croft before and if not you may have heard of a series called Tomb Raider and that is where she originated from. So when I created this program I had to think of the skills she had. 1) she is extremely flexible and is an amazing gymnast, 2) she has some insane balance and coordination, 3) she runs around a lot so she will need some endurance, 4) because she climbs around and solves puzzles, she will need a lot of strength and 5) she tends to fight a lot. Once I figured all of this out I went to the workout videos page on the FB site and planned out my next 7 weeks.

Soooo something I realised straight away is that there's not many total body strength routines on the FB site, so I would like to use this post as a suggestion to K&D for some more of those workouts because they are really good for people like me who can only workout for 3 days a week. So my preferable structure through the week was:

3-7x Yoga/stretching routines

1-2x total body strength routines

1-2 HIIT/cardio routines

Through this challenge I realised I've grown to like cardio a little more so they were used frequently over time. However with most cardio/HIIT routines there isn't a lot of upper body strength and so I would always add a 10 minute upper body EC just to ensure that those muscles got some love.

Throughout this challenge I also realised all of those routines need to be diverse and so for strength routines it would usually be some form of kettlebell, dumbbell or sandbag routine mainly for the fact that she will need to pick up and put down heavy objects in order to solve puzzles. For the HIIT/cardio I used more of the traditional routines in order to boost my coordination and endurance but I also used a lot of kickboxing for that fighting element. Flexibility was something that was really useful for the fact that it improved a lot of my range of motion through each workout. I will admit that I stumbled with flexibility last week but this week I have been better and I am surprised with how much flexibility I didn't loose.

Overall I have seen some AWESOME changes throughout this such as my flexibility and coordination. I have been able to do stretches I haven't been able to do before, I have been able to do moves that I've never been able to do (mainly for that fact that I used to almost face plant on the floor because I had no balance πŸ˜‚) and these changes have made me so happy!!!! I have also seen a little more definition in my core and legs which is something that I have been trying to achieve for a while. I will admit that because I used to do a lot of strength training and little cardio so I had a little extra fat store but when I added more cardio and there was a balance between the two, I lost a little extra of the fat. I'm not saying that it'll work for everyone but that was actually surprising to me. I really enjoyed making this for myself and I'm going to continue this format going forward.

I hope this post may have encouraged others to make their own type of themed workout in the future too! It could be around a TV, film, or book character you really like. Just think of their key skills and make that into a weekly challenge.

Well done if you made it this far into the post too, I know it was quite lengthy and I didn't mean for that to happen πŸ˜‚. Let me know if you think about doing something similar in the first place too.

Have a great day and thank you for reading!

Zoe

Edited