Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Nutrition: I don't have it in me to take the next step right now...

I'm not sure why I'm writing this... Maybe just to share it with someone or to get it out in words. Not sure. But here goes...

Nutrition has always been a struggle for me "in the background". I've never been overweight or had those kinds of issues, but I do feel like my stomach especially could be smaller and I want to be healthy in general. So I think I KNOW that I should make changes, but I just haven't had the energy or the motivation for it yet because I love sweets and I hate cooking. In fact, I haven't cooked in years.

My background is that I grew up in a home that sent me down the road to depression, anxiety and PTSD like symptoms. Instead of love, support and boundaries I got "love" in the form of all the pop and snacks I wanted. I ate like a pig, and I believe the only reason I didn't get overweight was because of good genes and metabolism or something like that. I never saw it as a problem either because I didn't get overweight, so I just kept on going.

Today I don't eat nearly as much sweets as I used to, and since a few months back I usually only drink pop twice a week. When my depression got really bad back in 2016 I stopped cooking, and I still haven't really gotten back to it even though I feel okay today. I eat microwave dinners, take out and sometimes salads that you can buy ready at the store. But even though I realize I have a long way to go for my nutrition to be good I also know that I've come a long way from being that teenager that had pop even for breakfast and just stuffed herself with sweets EVERY single day of the week. I didn't even do workouts back then either. I was your typical definition of a couch potato.

So long story short, I've come a long way but I also have a long way to go. BUT... I just don't have it in me to take the next step right now. I'm struggling with my life being stuck in limbo due to the virus and not being able to move to the US to be with my fiance, not having a "real" kitchen and some other stuff. So I just feel that I'm not at a place where I'm up for making long term changes when it comes to nutrition. I want to make them in the future, and hopefully I will when my life starts to settle in more and I feel like I can slowly make changes and KEEP them. I think being married will help to, because I will be living with someone that wants to eat healthy and that already does a lot of the time. My fiance eats a lot of salads, makes his own smoothies and has made the transition from eating bad to eating more healthy which I think will help me in my journey. But right now, being alone with no "real" kitchen and in the stress of limbo and just so much being messed up... I need to focus on hanging in there with the waiting, keep on showing up for workouts, keeping other good habits etc.

So for now I think I'll settle for:

"I'm not where I want to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be."