A

Daily Check-in: Sunday June 21th

Goedemorgen, Goeie moarn, Good morning, Guten Morgen, Bonjour, Buenos Dias, God Morgon and Habari za asubuhi to you!

Welcome to another day of weekend ghosting by yours truly. I always wanted to do that: say hello to you all in different languages, being the international community we are. I'm Dutch, living in the western part of the Netherlands. How about you? Where are you, now, on this Sunday?

On this first official full day of summer, I'd like to look back on spring. I could do that with yet another episode of the Kestrel Family Saga, but I still need to put last night's pictures into a collage, so I'm going to save that for tomorrow. And there are so many other spring pictures I've been wanting to share with you, but never did. So I'm officially closing my spring picture season with pictures of Woodpeckers feeding their chick. I took them two days ago. Here is the mum (black head, no red), the dad is in the reply (red patch on the back of his head) Although many bird parents have already seen their children fledge the nest, this one is still bringing them breakfast in bed. And lunch, and dinner, and dozens of snacks in between. How is that as an image on a weekend day?

Both parents were still flying back and forth the other day. It won't be long now, before they too will be getting a break and their offspring will be sick of that dark, crowded little hole in the tree, but on this first summer weekend, the hard work for them, and many other animal parents, isn't over just yet. I'm a big fan of woodpeckers, especially when the kids grow a bit older, because the parents feed them from outside the nest, instead of entering it, and you get to see the babies receiving the bugs. It's been a good woodpecker year at the parks in my area, and a good deal of my pictures features these adorable chicks waiting for food.

As I saw one new member of the next generation yesterday, I'll just add one more photo today in a second reply. The juvenile was trying to collect his own food out there in the big world. Well, not really, just the area around the nest he grew up in, because that's what birds do, when they find out there are chances waiting for them outside that little bird's nest. They don't go backpacking around the world as soon as they're old enough to leave home, like some humans do.

The woodpecker parents remind me of another crucial part of this check-in. I'm not talking about the workouts we'll be doing yet, or anything else, because my photo is all about food (even though the bird parents won't agree, as they have plenty of exercise feeding the children). My day always starts with breakfast. Overnight oats with fresh mango, pecan nuts and cream (/cottage) cheese, this morning. And coffee. I won't be able to work out on an empty stomach. What will be your source of energy today? What will you be having for breakfast, lunch or dinner in order to be ready for the remaining parts of the day? Or night, because sleeping on an empty stomach doesn't work very well either.

Mentioning sleep brings me to the subject of rest, workouts and other activities. Are you working out today, or do you have other priorities? Recovering and resting, being active outside, maybe a combination of everything? If you want to share it here, please do. Photos are welcome. As I wrote at the start of my ramblings, I have been wondering where all of you come from, so maybe you can add a picture of an outdoor activity you like and tell me a little bit about your home environment? I'm from the Netherlands myself, but it's not the tulips and the windmills that are the background of my outdoor activities. It's the beach and the sand dunes, and their inhabitants, like the woodpecker on my picture.

Workout-wise I have an upper body routine waiting for me. It's either bored easily or irregular, so different from most two or three sets strength routines, no matter which one I pick. I have scheduled two challenges at the same time on my calender, so I can choose each day what I'm going to do. I like to have a choice, but my brain freezes when there are 600 or more different options, so I was happy to see that it's possible to schedule two of the FB plus challenges parallel to one another. And sometimes, I'll swap it for another one anyway. Maybe I'll do that today as well, because, yesterday, our amazing Kim shared her experiences with the latest kickboxing routine by Daniel and I'm tempted to give it a try.

And with that, I am going to leave you today, to start my workout and maybe go for a walk later. I hope you'll enjoy the second half of your weekend (or whatever is left of it when you read this). It has been great to be your ghost the last few days. Thank you for enduring my ramblings and photo overload and see you all on the response side of the daily check-ins again soon!

Tot ziens, Doei, Goodbye, Tschüss, Au revoir, Adiós, Hejdå and Hebu!

Edited