A

Recovery evening walk and another episode of the Kestrel Kid Saga

Yesterday, I had quite a difficult day, but this topic isn't about that. It's just a chat. Without a workout scheduled (rest day, after finishing my program), and no chance to go out during the day, I decided to risk getting soaked by an approaching thunder storm and went for a walk in the evening. This is not a report of a tough, challenging long walk either, but since I learned there were a few Blenders following the wherabouts of the Kestrel family, I thought it would be nice to bring you another episode. Yesterday, I was curious if my favourite bird family was still in the area and walked to the bunker next to the birdhouse where the Kestrel family had resided until this weekend. And indeed, the kids were still in the area.

When juvenile Kestrels fledge the nest, they aren't strong enough at first to hunt for their own food and still are fed by the parents. Last time I was there, it was during the afternoon, it was warm and not much happened. Nature kept a siesta. Yesterday evening, all five kids were hanging out - wide awake - around the bunker, and dad Kestrel flew back and forth with mouses to feed them. Only the kids that had just been fed were a bit sleepy. The other ones were waiting for food and, being kids, playing in the area. When I arrived, I saw one of them jumping from the fence around the bunker, onto the back of a little bunny, that got the scare of his life, poor thing.

And so I stayed to take more pictures and put them into a collage again. The one up above, is one of the kids playing on the roof, where some wiring is attached. And the second one, in the reply, shows three Kestrel youngsters (blending in quite well, so it might be difficult to distinguish them). The story continues with that one.

Edited