Posted in: FB Team / FB Team Posts

Day 5'ish - Best Laid Plans

Hello Everyone,

Well, as I am doing Day 5 today you probably can put together that something went awry with my plans, and you would be correct in a big way.

Start Rant:

So, on Wednesday after day 3 I let you guys know I was planning on filming the next day if I was not to sore and if I was then just doing the regular day 4 but modify to be easier.... Well none of that happened.

Wednesday afternoon I decided to ditch work so Kelli and I could work in our garden (which was in the process of being takin over by weeds). So, we both went out on one of the only dry days we have had up here in a long time, and worked out butts off for about 3 1/2 hours weeding, planting, and general clean up.

I usually wear a face mask during the spring to avoid allergies because no allergy medications touch my symptoms. I skipped it this time because I though I was going to be fine since it had rained the day before... but not so much. I had such a harsh allergic reaction to whatever is blooming right now that I had sneezing fits for the next two days, my nose blocked up so much that I ended up not being able to sleep for the next two nights. Then from all the drainage and touching my nose and face (itchy watery eyes) I got a mild cold. Ha.

I was not a happy camper by any means and Kelli had no problem telling me as much. Ha.

End Rant:

So, when life gives you lemons (or in this case uncontrollable sneezing, itchy watery eyes, and sleep deprivation, followed by a cold) you reassess your plans to make the best of it and that is exactly what I did. I had to push out both day 4 and day 5 to this week. I just completed day 5 and will be doing day 4 (again trying to substitute it for filming a new upper-body workout) tomorrow.

So that is where I am at today. Once you realize that it is ok that things don't have to go as planned it is a lot easier to focus on what you need to do next. Whether you are new to working out or you have been at this for years it can be easy to lose focus by setbacks or plan changes. However one of the marks of a successful person is adaptation to change. So, don't get hung up on how you wanted things to be or the frustration of having to do it a different way. Instead focus on and even try to enjoy the challenge of getting your plans back on track. That goes for any part of your life not just fitness.

Daniel

P.S. A number of you asked on my last post what it is like working out to my own videos. It used to be a bit strange and felt a bit self important but honestly now I really like it. I can come into a workout and not have to think about what I am doing, I don't have to keep track of time or make sure I am hitting every thing the way I should. It allows me to focus more on my from and to push harder than I would if I was doing my own free form workout or filming for you guys. Now I know why so many of my clients kept coming back even though I had taught them everything they needed to know to build their own routines, some times it's nice to just not have to think about it.