M

Healthy, delicious and a joy to the eye

Hello, everyone! Hope you are all well.

Although restaurants have reopened here, we are still being cautious and avoid eating out. So, to compensate for our Friday evening outings, when we'd typically go to a different restaurant each week, we have started trying new recipes at home, especially from national cuisines that are new to our home-cooking repertoire. We also try to keep it vegetarian, so that we enjoy meat only in the weekend.

Yesterday we made red curry lentils with sweet potatoes and spinach from a recipe in the NY Times. Kind of an Indian/Thai fusion dish, where browned sweet potatoes are added to a lentil dal spiced with fresh ginger, turmeric, red curry paste and chile, and then simmered in coconut milk. Some baby spinach and lime juice are mixed in at the end, and the dish is served with cilantro leaves and coconut flakes.

Oh.my.goodness! It was loaded with flavor, truly complex, with beautiful colors (used red football lentils that are bright orange) and also a variety of textures. If anyone would have told me a few years ago that I'd enjoy lentils so much, I'd have thought they were mad XD My husband was missing rice (he's a huge fan). For me, it's a stew, not a sauce; I could see naan bread with it, but found it perfect just on its own.

Looking forward to enjoying the leftovers as post-workout snack next week!

Wishing you all a lovely weekend :-)