J
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Why do I feel guilty about this? Am I the only one?

Lately I have not been in great mental health. I typically will be working on a fitnessblender program, so I'm doing a variety of more "intense" exercises. When I think of exercise, in my mind these are the only ones that "count " towards actual fitness. But lately, with my mental health suffering, thinking about facing intense exercise stressed me out, so I decided to take a break. I know I mostly do it because it's good for you, and out of fear of gaining weight, and also out of avoiding the guilt I'll feel if I skip it because then I feel lazy.... I noticed when I stopped for a week my mental health got even worse, so I knew I needed to do something but I just couldn't face anything "hard". I've been doing some low impact workouts, and a lot more yoga, but I feel GUILTY about not "pushing myself" into a harder workout. On one hand I feel this is kind of like intuitive exercise, where I am doing what I feel capabale of doing day to day. On the other hand I am afraid of what will happen to my body if I don't do harder stuff (HITT and strength). Is doing what feels intutive and right ok for LONG periods of time? This guilt/shame/fear cycle is so HARD! Am I the only one who does this?

I'm not sure what I need out of this little rant other than to just say it (or type it out loud).... Brains can be jerks.