Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Radical New Goals Here

I'm 52 and just finally realizing that I've been battling the same 25 lbs for almost 25 years now. I've lost it 4 times, and gained it back (plus a bit) 4 times. I've always been on an "all out war" with my legs and butt. In retrospect I wish I had played sports and could've appreciated the power of my very strong legs, but instead I mounted a "war" against them, trying to force my anatomy into something it could not be (skinny legs, straighter hips). Like many people, my approach included dieting (weight watchers, 1200 calorie restriction, packaged "healthy choice" foods, intermittent fasting just to name a few), and intense boot camp style cardio,

So now as menopause starts hitting me and I start feeling my age a bit, I am waking up. I am working on unwinding the many years of distorted thinking and setting radical new goals for myself. I will try to avoid the scale for 4 weeks and focus on eating well (I bought the FB Omnivore Meal Plan), and training with a focus on strength and building/maintaining muscle.

My 4 week goals: make fitness gains as measured by the fitness test; reduce the aches and pains in my joints that I've recently started waking up with; improve appearance/fit in summer clothes. For the first time, no scale weight goal.

I'm wondering if any other ladies in their 50's have had success with a similar change in approach?