By Request: Pumpkin Brownies

Brownies but make it healthy.

Ingredients:

- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (don't like it? Try sweet potato or banana)

- 2/3 cup almond butter (or any nut or seed butter)

- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (I like Ghirardelli Ground Dark Chocolate)

- 3 Tbsp chocolate protein powder (if you're not a fan of protein powder, you can add more cocoa powder OR 3 Tbsp of Greek yogurt)

- 1 tsp vanilla extract

- 1 tsp instant coffee or espresso powder (you don't taste coffee, it makes the chocolate pop)

- 1/4 tsp salt

- 1/2 tsp cinnamon

- 1/4 tsp nutmeg

- 1/4 tsp cloves

- 1/4 sugar (I like to use dark brown sugar to get that nice toffee flavor, but you can use any type)

Directions:

- Mix together the pumpkin puree and almond butter until combined.

- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth.

- Let the batter rest for 30 minutes.

- Prepare your pan by spraying with nonstick spray - I use an 8 inch round pan, but you can use a 9 inch round, an 8x8, a 9x9, or even a loaf pan. If you're using a 9x13, you'll need to double the recipe. I also like to line the pan with parchment paper, enough that it's sticking out over the sides of the pan so I can lift the brownies out at the end. This is optional though.

- Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 325 until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs on it.

- Baking time will vary based on the size of your pan - in an 8 inch round, it takes about 25 minutes in my oven.

- Cool completely before frosting (if you're going that route).

If you're not the type to have a ton of spices on hand, you can always use 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead.

You can eat these plain, but I like to add pumpkin frosting when I'm really craving something sweet.

Pumpkin Frosting:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter - softened

1/4 cup pumpkin puree

2 cups powdered sugar (yep, two cups.)

1 tsp vanilla

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg

Up to 1 Tbsp milk if needed

Directions:

- Mix together the softened butter and pumpkin until combined.

- Add the sugar and cream the mixture for about 5 minutes - it'll lighten in color and get fluffy. By creaming, I mean beat at a pretty high speed with a paddle adjustment. If you don't have a mixer, you can use an electric mixer or cream it by hand - doubles as an arm workout.

- Add the vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.

- If the frosting is too thick, add the milk a little at a time until it reaches the right consistency.

Alternatively, sometimes I make an easy chocolate ganache type frosting instead.

Ingredients:

- 15 oz full-fat coconut cream

- 16 oz chocolate bar (melts better than chips!)

- 1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

- Chop up the chocolate bar and place in a heat-proof bowl.

- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the coconut cream until the edges bubble and the center is steaming.

- Pour the coconut cream over the chopped chocolate and let stand for ~5 minutes. Don't stir.

- After 5 minutes, gently whisk the mixture until smooth - takes about 1-2 minutes.

- Gently whisk in the vanilla.

- Pour over cooled brownies. Stick the brownies in the fridge until the ganache hardens.

By the way: When I say pumpkin puree, I mean pumpkin puree. Don't use pie filling unless you want unnecessary sugar and preservatives!

Edited