Thoughts and questions on strength training after a conversation with a physiotherapist

Hi Blenders,

Today my dad saw his physiotherapist and as I was working just a few meters from where they were, I couldn't help listening to what he was saying and asking a few questions myself. It was very interesting and I was wondering what you guys would think about it. Basically he explained that a few studies have shown that the best way to build actual strength is to lift about 80% of your 1-rep max for about 10 reps, and that to work on muscle endurance you should pick about 60% of your 1-rep max and do maybe something like 20 reps. I couldn't resist and went to test my 1-rep max for regular bicep curl, and found out it was about 15lb (80% = 12lb, and 60% = 9lb). But the thing is, I usually lift 9lb for approx. 10 reps and do 2 to 3 sets. But I know I managed to lift 12 lb for 10 reps once, but then had to switch back down to 9 lb for sets 2 and 3. I told him that and he said that if you want to actually build strength, you should rest longer and aim to lift that 80%-of-1-rep-max for each set. I guess this partly explains why I've barely increased the weight I lift on most exercises since I began exercising about 16 months ago... (Though I've definitely increased the quality of each rep and my form for each exercise, and that counts too!)

I told him that I was usually doing supersets (alternating bicep and tricep exercises etc.) and he explained that, especially when working with free weights, other muscles will always come to support the one targeted: my bicep is not completely resting when I work my tricep, and vice versa. This would explain why I have to lower my weight from one set to the next if I use 12 lb for bicep curls, to come back to my example.

Of course the way we train here with Fitness Blender is beneficial in other aspects, but apparently it would not be the best way to build pure strength. My understanding is that it's more of an intermediate training between muscle endurance and strength. What do you think about that?

He also mentioned that doing that kind of past-paced training too often increases the risk of inflammation and injury, though I don't know what frequency would be considered too often. I'm guessing 2-3 times a week per muscle group, as is the case in FB programs, would not be too often, but who knows...

He advised to switch between left and right side if I don't want to have to take a minute of rest or more between sets, so for example: bicep curls on the left arm, then bicep curls on the right, then tricep extensions on the left, then tricep extensions on the right, and so on. What do you think about that?

I've heard Daniel say that we could rest for up to a couple of minutes between groups in some strength training videos, but I don't remember hearing that this was advised between sets.

Well, actually I'm not per se looking to drastically increase pure strength, but it's interesting to know and be conscious of when training. And I'm just curious 😂.

Something he said prompted another question in my mind after he had left: he told my dad to choose between endurance and strength and work on one thing at a time. Would that, in your opinion, mean that you should pick a training style (for lifting I mean) and stick to it for a few weeks/months or just that you should not alternate between high-rep low-weight and low-rep high-weight in the same training session?

What do you think about all this? Do any of you have experience with this or another opinion to share on the subject?

Have a great day everyone!! 😊

Edited