Taking a break from strength training?

Hi to everyone,

I’ve been working out with FB since around June last year and in December I first bought dumbbells. Since then I have been doing strength training regularly with the exception of one week in February when I was sick. Generally, it’s going really well and I have been doing a lot of progress.

However, for about a week now I’ve felt like I am constantly sore and my muscles are always tired and I’ve also sort of hit a plateau (meaning when before I’ve felt like I could up the weight for some exercises soon, I now can’t). I have always made sure to let every muscle group rest for at least a day, most times more. I’ve been using the same structure as in the programs, so I trained every muscle group twice per week. And I am always taking a rest day in the middle of the week and one on Sundays. Also, I did not only do strength training of course, but also some cardio and HIIT mixed in there.

So anyway, I was wondering if I should take a week off of strength training to REALLY let those muscles rest and regenerate. Would that at all be beneficial? And would it be ok to do cardio during that week? I definitely do not want to lose the habit of working out.

I do know that you don’t lose all your muscles in one week, but it feels so difficult to take a break just when I was so proud of working out regularly and getting stronger and actually loving my daily workouts, when in the years before I would always find some excuse not to work out. However, I also don’t want to risk all that by overtraining my muscles and maybe getting injured...

I hope you're all having a good start into the new week.