C

Coping with eating disorders

Hello fb family!

This is actually the first time I'm posting in the community after years of working out with Daniel and Kelli, but you guys seem very nice and supportive and maybe someone has shared my same experience and may give me some advice.

At the age of 21, I have finally acknowledged the fact that I've been in an unhealthy relationship with my body for years now, struggling with what seems to be muscle dysmorphia and orthorexia (not diagnosed yet, but I do show most of if not all the symptoms) and I am a bit...scared?

I've been obsessively controlling what I eat for years, using my vegetarianism as an excuse to track macros because "I risked not getting enough protein", and completely avoiding any "unhealthy" food. Not to mention restaurants. I've been working out almost every day (not overexercising, but still...), and if I don't I get stressed because of it. I've been staring at that stubborn lower belly fat that doesn't seem to go away whatever I do, and at my muscles, hoping they'll grow and show more. I've been doing lots of things that are definitely not healthy nor right for my mind and body. Not starving or overeating, just obsessively tracking and working out. Lots of mental stress, but my body is not on the brink. Yet.

I used to be an overweight child, I was bullied because of it, then I lost weight and I was told I was too disgustingly thin, I've been called ugly all my life. So basically the feeling that I'm never pretty/good/athletic enough is definitely rooted deep down in me.

I want to stop the obsessive behaviour when it comes to food. I want to be able to eat without calculating and recalculating in my mind and being terrified that the oil on top of that soup will make me go over my daily caloric goal. I want to be ok with my tummy not being as flat as I wish it were, knowing that maybe one day it will be, but it if it won't, it's fine, too.

I want to be...free?

But it seems like trying to climb mount Everest in a bikini.

I decided to begin by trying not to track calories but still measuring food, and then let go of that, too.

Has anyone else here struggled with the same problem? How did you overcome it, if you did?

Thank you all