Hushpuppy Skillet Cornbread with Whole Wheat Flour

I love hushpuppies, but they don't love me. I can't tolerate deep-fried foods any longer, so this is my healthy compromise. Sweet, onion-y, moist skillet cornbread with a slightly crispy crust. Thought I would share.

3 tablespoons dehydrated minced onion flakes

3 tablespoons water

1 cup cornmeal, fine yellow (not coarse grind)

1/2 cup white whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 cup Greek yogurt, plain

1 egg, large

1 egg yolk

3/4 cup milk

1/4 cup honey

1 tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon vegetable oil (not extra virgin olive oil)

Preheat oven to 425º F. Place a cast iron skillet (I use a 10”) on a lower third oven rack to preheat.

Place the dehydrated onion flakes and water in a small bowl to sit while you prepare the cornbread batter. I have tried this with fresh grated onion, but we found the results with the dehydrated/re-hydrated onion to be much better.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the fine yellow cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.

In a large bowl, stir the Greek yogurt, egg and egg yolk until combined. Add the milk (I used plant-based) and honey; stirring after each addition.

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixing until the flours have been incorporated; the batter may be lumpy. Next, Fold in the re-hydrated onion making sure the onion is evenly distributed. Let the batter sit 10 minutes.

After the batter has rested, carefully remove the preheated skillet from the oven using an oven mitt or towel. Put in the tablespoon of butter and tablespoon of oil (I use avocado). Tilt and swirl the bubbling fat until the butter is melted and the skillet is coated.

Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet with caution. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Mine usually takes no more than 15 minutes. Your time may vary based on skillet size and oven.

When the cornbread is done, immediately run a knife or spatula along the outer edge to loosen. The skillet will be very hot, please be careful! Invert the skillet onto a cooling rack or cookie sheet. We want to get the bread out of the skillet as soon as possible so steam build-up doesn’t soften the crust. The bread remains bottom-side up while cooling and for serving. NOTE: If the bread is not releasing, run a spatula around the outside of the bread as well as underneath prior to flipping.

Let the hot bread rest uncovered for about 10-15 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!

**The onion flavor increases over time, the crispiness unfortunately does not last.