Korean School Lunch

FB’s recent post about healthy eating inspired me to share this one. Thought you might like to see what a normal school lunch in Korea looks like. Many Koreans eat this way for breakfast as well as dinner, although families with younger generation parents don’t typically do this for breakfast anymore.

I’ve been a teacher in Korea for nearly 10 years now and every lunch at school I am so blessed to be provided with healthy homemade meals. The set up is pretty much the same as in the picture with the types of sides switching every day. Occasionally, we’ll be offered something fried or some sort of processed meat, which the kids love, but I stay away from. I’m truly thankful to be able to eat this way on a daily basis.

I remember my school lunches in America, and if they’re anything similar to what I had as a kid and if I ever get to go back with my family, my baby is probably going to take a packed lunch to school!

If anyone is struggling with how to balance your meals, feel free to use this meal as a guideline! From the top left hand corner moving clockwise, the foods are: spiced stir-fried tofu, spiced and pickled radish, spiced spinach, marinated stewed chicken, soybean sprout soup, and rice (In my home, we eat mixed rice of mostly brown, barley and black rice with lentils or some other type of bean).

Happy clean eating!