Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

80/20 Vegan

I have been toying with the idea of going vegan for a long time. I find it very easy to eat vegetarian because I just genuinely do not enjoy eating meat. However, I do think I overeat dairy. I throw cheese or butter or heavy cream in EVERYTHING! I made a switch to vegan butter awhile back and have started using nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese but I live in the south and vegan alternatives often receive a super high markup in our grocery stores and the majority of restaurants don’t offer vegan fare. This is why I am attempting 80/20 vegetarian/vegan in the coming week. I am about to embark on a 2 month move due to my graduate school studies and while I am nervous about moving from my home, husband, and puppies, I would like to be set in my nutrition and focus on more vegan fares.

I don’t have any objection to meat, just genuinely don’t enjoy it and find it very easy to cut out. I grew up in the south, my whole family hunts, and even with the more organic, grass fed options, that has been easy to cut out.

Thankfully, today at the grocery store, there seemed to be a sale on the vegan cheeses and a brand of vegan lunch/frozen foods that I really enjoy. Hoping that this next week goes well and I see more ways to add vegan fare to my daily life!

Attached is one example of my vegan cooking...I bought plain Texas toast and used Mykonos butter and garlic and nutritional yeast to make garlic bread, then did tofu parmesan, also with Mykonos brand mozzarella and nutritional yeast! My favorite spaghetti sauce brand is Muir Glen because it’s sugar free and has plain, simple ingredients that I can pronounce. :)