Eye on the Prize

Several years ago, full of the sort of idealism and adventure that only the naivete of youth can achieve, I decided to cycle through the idyllic French countryside.

I got hit by a car.

I'm not exactly familiar with French road laws so who knows who's fault it was, and in any case I don't speak a word of French. I was full of adrenaline and the car was fine, so I got back up and continued to cycle all across Europe. Fast forward 12 years, I'm 33, and my hip hasn't stopped hurting. Walking around is fine, but it cramps up if I sit on that side too long, I have trouble with certain glute exercises, and no amount of stretching will loosen it up.

Over the weekend, it decided to have another bout of sciatica. My whole leg was on fire; it felt like someone had stuck a red hot poker into me. I could feel my hip in my toe! The last time this happened I was hobbling around for a whopping 8 months, so today I went off to the vet. Maybe he could get it under control in fewer. Say, 7 if we're lucky?

So the vet pokes around for about 20 seconds and announces tronchanteric bursitis! Well, barring an x-ray and ultrasound. A what now?! I did not! Oh, hip bursitis. That's it?

Then he asks me is it achy all the time? Well, no, not usually. Does it hurt going up stairs? No, that's fine. But lunges are way harder on this leg, and it limits how much weight I lift!

He kind of looked at me and asked how much exercise I get.

Guys, the only reason I don't have chronic hip pain and can go up the stairs is because I do so much exercise and it keeps me strong and inflammation down. I haven't been on top of it for the last couple of weeks because I got busy with work and life, and the lack of exercise is what stiffened everything up and caused the sciatic flare. Slimming down and toning up can be welcome side effects of exercise, but are they really what matters? It's easy to get derailed with flat stomachs and perky bums, but I'd sure trade a flat stomach for a pot belly if it meant I didn't have chronic pain. Which is lucky, because that's the deal I've got ;)

I'm off to do HIIT now, and will do those jumping lunges with a smile on my face. I hadn't realized just how much good they were doing me. (may become a smile-grimace, but still a smile)