Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

When there are just always excuses...

Hi guys, I guess I’m looking for some thoughts or solidarity on something.

I have been working out 3-6 days a week consistently since January, and using myfitnesspal to log my calories most days. I’ve lost about 5lbs, which is great, but I still have a few more to go before hitting that elusive “goal weight.”

I try not to get too hung up on scale weight because it’s all ridiculous... I’ll weigh myself one hour, and then the next hour it’ll say I’m 3lbs heavier. It’s so arbitrary and weird and it bothers me! But anyway, that’s not what I’m hereto talk about. I’m here to talk about nutrition.

One change I’ve made this year that I am the most proud of myself for us I have started packing my lunch and snacks everyday, and making dinner for myself almost every weekday. I’ve also cut back on dessert... I used to be a dessert every night kind of girl. For a while I cut back to once a week; lately I’ve admittedly been fudging that “rule.”

I try to give myself one day a week where I allow myself to have whatever I want. I also try not to say no when friends ask me to go for a drink or to dinner, etc. This is all mainly because I never want my nutrition life to feel like a diet or to disconnect me from friends or other activities. However, sometimes the “excuses” to eat poorly, or eat out instead of in, or have one drink, or let myself indulge in the milkshake or whatever, just pile on. It’s like there’s always going to be a reason to stray from my “rules,” and as a result, I find myself maintaining instead of improving even with all of he significant lifestyle changes I have made.

It’s all really frustrating... I just want to find the right balance. It seems simple: just say no to more things, limit yourself more, blah blah blah... but I don’t know. Does anyone else find themselves in this kind of situation? Any advice or tools you use to help you stay on track? I apologize for how long this ended up being.. i kinda just needed to vent to my fitness fam.