Knee Injury, Positivity, and Weight Loss

Okay, an update and some encouragement!

A couple of months ago, I seriously injured my knee...doing nothing particularly exciting or strenuous, but since I tore my ACL and had reconstructive surgery on the same knee back in college, I was fearing the worst.

I rested and RICEed. It didn’t get better.

I went to see my doctor. She couldn’t make a diagnosis.

She recommended physical therapy. I found a great PT, but my knee didn’t respond.

My PT recommended an MRI. My fears were confirmed - “significantly” torn meniscus; partially torn ACL.

Argh! Come on now, life!

Throughout this whole 2-month ordeal, I had Daniel on speed dial. He’s not a doctor, he’s not a PT, but he listens and gives really good advice.

Something that shouldn’t be surprising at all, I guess - he repeated mantras that he and Kelli use often for the entire FB Community.

Listen to your body.

Talk to your doctor.

Find a good PT and follow their instructions.

Listen to your body some more.

Stay positive (Kelli hammered on this point when we talked!).

This last bit has been the most difficult. Two months with limited mobility, crutches, bed rest, discomfort, etc. No fun!

But Daniel reminded me every time we talked that we’d figure it out. The knee would get better. Stay positive; it helps the healing process.

Oh, and he reminded me to eat well. It’s easy to “comfort eat” when you’re injured...which doesn’t really help (if that comfort food isn’t healthy).

Yes, yes, Daniel...I get all of this intellectually, but won’t you just let me wallow in misery for a bit? Let me whine a bit? Feel sorry for myself?

No. No. And no.

Thanks. Very supportive. 😉

Anyway, after the MRI, I had to go see an orthopedic surgeon (the pic here is from the waiting room)...and it turns out that while my meniscus definitely needs surgery, my ACL is intact and what showed up on the MRI was simply scar tissue and the like from my previous injury and surgery. No new damage and no need for reconstructive surgery at all!

Whaaa? Boom!

The meniscus surgery is scheduled and is much less invasive than ACL surgery, with very quick recovery time.

Are you kidding me? I went in expecting the worst, but quickly became giddy when the surgeon explained all of this. Literally giddy!

I’ll still have to do some pretty serious post-op physical therapy, of course, mainly to build up muscle that has atrophied and strengthen my knee overall, but I’ve got this.

Who was worried? I wasn’t worried.

So, FB Family, the moral of the story is - listen to your body, seek professional medical advice, find a good PT, and stay positive!

Thanks Daniel (and Kelli) for listening, being supportive, and providing good, sound advice. Love you guys!

P.S. Oh, and surprise, surprise - just by eating well and doing what I could exercise-wise (which wasn’t much), I’m down to 185 pounds, or 84 kg (from 205, or 93 kg) before this while ordeal.