C

Do you have a system for tracking the weight you lift?

I'm curious to know how other people keep track of the weights they're lifting (or the reps they're able to do, pushups, burpees, whatever it is you track!). I find it impossible to remember what I used last and I like to have a history so I can keep track of improvement, so I have a clunky system. It's... a bit tedious, so I was wondering if someone else has an app they use to record this stuff or just a better way of handling things!

My system:

1. Before each workout, I copy and paste the routine into a particular file in my Notes app on my Mac. It contains the routines for every workout I do with the most recent at the top.

2. I press "cmd + f" and search for each exercise so I can find the last time I did it and see what weight I used. I update today's routine with the weight I want to try today.

3. I change the settings on my iPhone so the screen won't turn off, and I leave the Notes app open. Because I have a Mac and an iPhone, it syncs the routine I just entered on my computer to my phone. This way I don't have to touch my laptop during the routine (I play the video on full-screen). I can just glance at my phone, see what weight I chose, and adjust the powerblocks.

4. As I'm exercising, if I change the weight that I had initially written down, I update the routine on my phone.

5. When I'm done, I copy and paste the routine from my Notes app into the "Notes" section for that day of the program I'm doing. This way when I redo the program, I can see what's changed for that particular video!

The biggest pain point for me is that it's hard at a glance to see my progression. I have to search through my notes and find each time I've done a chest press, for example. So I've been trying to play around with ideas on how to keep track of my daily results for a specific video while also making overall progress easier to see.

Attaching an example of notes my exercise file for the curious. So what do you do? Do you have a good memory and keep it all in your head? Do you wing it? Paper and pencil? Apps galore?