Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

The Lunch Puzzle: HELP

It has been a LONG time since I've visited the FB community page; I've been on a journey to build a healthy relationship with my body and mind that started with a back injury that I'm still recovering from. But here I am to lean on this wonderful community with the food puzzle that has perplexed me for far too long: LUNCH.

I work a typical 9-5/Mon-Fri job (which I love) and I've nailed down healthy, balanced, nutritious breakfasts and dinners to keep me going. However, packed lunch still eludes me. I can't seem to find the right mix of healthy, filling, tasty, and will actually hold if made the night before or morning of until 1pm. WHAT DO I DO? What do YOU do?

I recently found out I have an under-functioning thyroid and am closer to pre-diabetic than I thought so I'm following my doctors instructions to minimize, or eliminate carbs (like bread, not fruit), added sugars of any kind, and processed meat. This rules out the classic sandwich for lunch. I am increasing my intake of vegetables and have them in every meal (which I was pretty close to doing anyway so this was easy!) but I am not satiated on salad for lunch every day.

What do YOU make for packed lunch that is well balanced, minimal on the carbs (or none if possible, I'm trying to reserve my carb intake for dinner), and actually stays fresh until lunch time??? HELP!