Upper body workout ✅ earned... approved by this cute little guy

Habitat management today in perfect weather: not too hot and not too cold, sun out for most of the time. In this area the ranger we work with is a really enthusiastic lovely girl, so that adds to the pleasure!

We were clearing a woodland area of ferns and gorse saplings today, so that heather can be seeded there and cover that space, rather than the straggly gorse that would grow there otherwise. Our task today: Pulling out ferns where possible or lopping them, pulling out little gorse saplings, pulling out roots of gorse (😱) and raking and scraping to remove the top soil. After four and a half hours my back was protesting! Even though I was keeping my back straight most of the time, the jerking motion, when you pull at a fern or root and it doesn’t give way, is obviously not really back-friendly! I promised a friend to go for a leisurely seaswim tonight, so I am hoping that will make it feel much better. If not: Daniel, I will have another date with you!

The photo shows the “before” top left, the “after” bottom left. The little guy sitting in the wheelbarrow was found under a bush. He has now been given the status of mascot and we named him Delphi (the area we were working in is called Delph Woods...!). I think he is sooo cute sitting there surrounded by our tools!

#lovehabitatmanagement

#brilliantdayagain

Edited