Nightshifts, anyone?

Hello dear FB Family,

I‘m sitting here at work at the Hospital, having a nightshift after a free and relaxing weekend. Right now everything is calm and I’m preparing to got to sleep until the next patient is coming.

I have six to eight nightshifts per month - we are „on call“, so I‘m allowed to sleep when nobody needs me - but that doesn’t happen very often. Shift starts at 2pm until the next morning - that means I often don’t sleep >24h.. and afterwards I tend to wake up after 4-5h - groggy, tired and cranky.

The shifts are distributed throughout the month, so (except on weekends, 3 nights in a row and shorter) I have one day rest (the day directly after the shift) and often work regularly the next day.

I tend to become very hungry at night and because I’m too lazy to prepare anything in advance end up eating crappy things .. plus lots of coffee and diet coke..

Losing weight was difficult during the last six months, now I’m focusing on maintaining/getting stronger and fitter. But I already hate the feeling the day after and I’m very unproductive.

Now during Summer I always try to go swimming for about 30min after work (outdoor pool is open and very close by), that helps against the crappy feeling before going to sleep.

I know hydration is very important and eating food that’s easy to digest - but that’s not always that easy and helps only a little bit.

Anybody out there with the same issues? Any tips for a lazy, tired and soon to be old lady? ;)