Sweat Day 17 check-in and a question

Hey all!

I must confess to some frustration today. Not to do with the program or the video as much as with my own distribution of strength. It was a lower body day but without HIIT, just strength. To get the most of it, I tried to lift heavy but immediately got discouraged because my upper body was struggling and I couldn’t keep good form. Then I lowered them a little and was able to keep form, got all sweaty and everything, but still felt mostly upper body working and lower body breezing through it. I had upper body day yesterday, and I have another one tomorrow, so this is not what I wanted today. Ended up lowering the weights even more, so I could focus better on lower body, get more resistance from consciously engaging than the weights.

So that’s my constant battle with strength training and my question – how to progressively strength train the legs (and glutes) if the rest of the body can’t support adding weights?

On a more positive note, extra credit was pilates which I love, and I also added the new video, both with ankle weights, so I got the burn I wanted. I guess this partially answers my question above, but do you have any other ideas and tips?

In particular, I’m very interested has anyone been in the same situation and eventually resolved it? Got to a point where you can feel it the right way in the lower body just by pure strength training, without the need to add HIIT or pilates or high-reps/less-rest?

I always see a lot of love for strength training around here, not as much for cardio (or for bodyweight strength which I do love), and I often wonder have you all loved weights from the start? If not and there was a ‘switch’ that happened at some point, how did it happen?

Any thougths on the subject appreciated, thanks!