Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Thoughts on 10,000 steps a day?

I'm curious what everyone thinks about the claim that you should get in at least 10,000 steps a day. I try my hardest to get in as many steps as I can on a daily basis, but I usually get on average around 4-5,000. I have a desk job that does require me to get up and move (to varying degrees every day - I work at a physical therapy clinic, so it depends on how many new patients we have that require me to get up and give paperwork to therapists on the other side of our very large clinic). I tried the whole walking during lunch thing, but I have a hard time doing that (I've tried it a handful of times and just can't seem to get into the groove of wolfing down my food and then trying to walk when I just want to relax on my lunch break). I work out every day, so I do get a good amount of exercise in, but I'm wondering if I need to worry so much about the amount of steps I get in.

Do any of you try to hit 10,000 steps a day, and if so, how do you do it? What are your daily circumstances that allow you to reach or not reach this? Is it overrated to worry about reaching it, or has it made enough of a noticeable difference for you that it is worth it to try?