Let's talk about Body Shaming

Dear FBlenders,

honestly we all know these moments looking in the mirror and being unhappy with our looks. And you might fairly ask: why is that? This issue bothers me a lot, cause it has been a concern since I was a teenage girl and I'm sure many of you guys have been sharing the same experience.

When it comes to our body we are mercilessly critical. Especially women are told not to be so hard on themselves, but is this the whole truth? Where does the lack of confidence come from? In my opinion the society is part of the game, cause it creates an image of a perfect body (lean, strong, big boobs, big butt, no cellulite), which is just impossible to reach without Photoshop.

Even so, there is no chance to escape from the media's influence constantly reminding us what it takes to look like a perfect woman. The frustration as a result is well calculated by the beauty industry making money with the insecurity of women regarding their body.

But this is only one side of the medal. Now I'm coming to a very emotional point. I'm pretty sure there are many people here having already faced body shaming in their lives. When talking about body shaming I don't only have the offensive comments (you are ugly...) in my mind. It often comes from an unexpected side and in a more subtle way. "You eat a lot/ too little" or "Have you gained/ lost weight?" - Who comes up with those comments in the first place? Surprisingly it isn't the beauty industry, but family and friends. There might be no bad intention behind these careless remarks but it hurts a lot to hear something like that from someone close to you, isn't it.

The message seems to be clear: Women have to be pretty in every situation.

And what about us ladies? It really annoys me, when I'm concerned about my looks or comparing myself to other women. It just feels like falling into the trap. Think about it: What could we already have reached with all the time we were wasting with such nonsense. Only concentrating on physical appearance just keep us away from the truly important things in life.

Of course I love working out with FitnessBlender and I love the way my body has already changed. But what's the main reason for doing so, is it because of others' expectations or my own motivation? That’s the question we have to ask ourselves. And most importantly fitness is surely a great tool to feel great but it is not everything, there is so much more to discover in life. We should keep that in mind 😉

Edited