Окрошка! Okroshka!

For me, my friends, this is one of the wonderful tastes of Spring.

#chefinthemaking has been waiting (not patiently at all, I might add) to make окрошка (okroshka, a cold, quintessentially Russian soup).

Since it is a cold soup, Russians (and others in the former Soviet Union) normally eat it in the Summer, but families start to make it in the Spring when it gets warm.

Well, my lovely wife has been talking about making it for weeks now (since it’s been warm and we can get all of the ingredients she needs), but she was “culturally bound” not to make it before Spring (and, even then, she’s a bit early).

Anyway, she made a huge batch earlier in the week and we’ve been eating it for several days. Suffice it to say, there has been much rejoicing in her Russian soul (not to mention in my American stomach).⁣

Are there foods that you all eat at only certain times of the year? Foods that bring floods of nostalgia and warmth?

I’ll eventually get her to put recipes together, but just listen to all of this goodness - cucumber, radish, potato, hard boiled egg, green onion, and dill (oh, “normal” Russian families often used meat, but my Russian is a non-conformist). Oh, and the “broth” (her version) is just sour cream and water.

Happy weekend everyone!