Advice on getting significant others on the fitness wagon?

Hello all,

To make a long story short (as possible), I have tried and tried to get my husband to be more active. He has a gym membership he never uses. Not to get into too many details, he is a veteran who used to be in top shape, got hurt and now sits at a desk for work. I know he struggles with his weight gain, but I don't know how to help him get motivated.

I honestly feel like it is going to take a health scare to get him moving. I thought having a child was going to make him want to take better care of himself, but that hasn't worked.

He will go on walks with me when it is nice out which is something, but he doesn't understand the benefits of strength training and eating smarter. I feel like as soon as I start talking about stuff like that, he tunes me out.

I've gotten to the point where I make less for dinner so we can't go back for seconds. I try setting an example for him and sharing my fitness progress to show him it works, but he doesn't seem to care.

It is worrying me because of his health, long-term and short-term, and it is impacting our relationship (on his end mostly...his self confidence).

Thoughts? Advice? Should I just leave it alone?

Edited