Dealing with Setbacks

Fitness Blender Family!

So, many of you have probably seen this article before, but dealing with setbacks (of any kind) is something that has been on our minds a lot recently, and something we get a lot of questions about.

Staying fit and healthy while injured or sick is no small feat, but here are a few things to keep in mind:

- no one is immune from sidelining events

- staying fit during a sidelining event doesn't necessarily mean buckling down and charging forward more intensely; it can also mean slowing down and letting yourself heal

- sometimes, rest is best

- taking a break because you are ill or injured is not lazy and it's not something you should allow yourself to feel any guilt over whatsoever

- get your mindset right and don't get down on yourself; tell yourself “this is what I need and I am going to do what I need to to heal”

- an extended hiatus from exercise is challenging for multiple reasons

- it takes a lot of patience, modification, and time to feel “normal” again

- you could use your setback as an opportunity to focus on stretching and flexibility

- beginner or low impact routines may be good options or you could even cut out physical activity entirely and work on mental fitness with meditation

- if you make healthy food choices while you're healing, you may be surprised at how relatively little effect a month or two of inactivity can have on your weight and body fat

- be humble, and honest with yourself

- it feels good to push and improve yourself, and exercise is a great way to manage life stress, but sometimes, rest is what we need the most

- it won't help to rush anything; and in the end, the only real goal is good health

To summarize, when it comes to dealing with setbacks - listen to your body, do what you can, and be satisfied that you showed up!