W
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Respect Your Body - Respect Life

I want to say something about life, about high impact and low impact and extra credits... about respecting your body and remembering to breathe. I'm writing this mostly to remind myself. But because there usually is someone out there dealing with the exact same stuff, I thought I'd share.

I heard it already 2016 when I joined FB, Kelli talking about listening to my body... extra is EXTRA... 30 minutes is more than enough... I heard it, but I didn't LISTEN. In 6 months, I never skipped a workout. NEVER. I did every second of every workout the hardest possible version. Even during the days when I felt totally miserable and tired, I punished myself doing everything even harder, and for sure not missing a single extra credit workout there ever was.

Oh well... no need to tell that the end of that story wasn't pretty. I lost weight too fast. My brain never caught what was going on in my body and I ended up feeling sad, disappointed, and finally giving up exercising completely. And of course, all the lost pounds came back and took their friends along to join my waist.

After that... a lot has happened. I have been facing life, and most importantly - facing myself. To really know myself. Dealing with my past and landing on the present, strongly on my own feet. And then, after the hard work that happened inside me, when exercising became a way to express myself, instead of just another way of escaping - when the will and the energy and the love bubbles from the heart - the sky is the limit.

Nowadays, 3 years later, I workout almost every day. Just because I love to, and it's part of my routine. I don't HAVE TO do it, I WANT TO because it makes me feel good, it makes me a best version of myself. I usually skip the extra credits, just because I feel the main workout is enough. I do mostly low impact modifications, I do a couple of high impact sets if I have the energy. I listen to music and I listen to my body. Kelli and Daniel are there keeping me company and giving instructions, but they're doing their thing, I'm doing mine. Sometimes I miss an interval because I feel like dancing rather than jumping lunges. I smile and I'm present. I simply BREATHE. And the result is that I love my workouts. I am stronger and fitter than ever. I'm confident and I have no idea of my weight because I don't own a scale anymore. My clothes fit and I like what I face in the mirror. This time there is no goal - this is just the way I live my life.

I want to remind all the other perfectionists out there: LOVE yourself, you only get to live once.

Thank you Kelli and Daniel for being so real, and thank you for working out with me every day. You're making the world a better place.