People And Their Remarks

Even though I’m aware of the fact that other people are battling with far more serious issues, I can’t help feeling dejected when I hear yet another silly remark about my appearance.

I’m thin. I know that. I don’t and will probably never look muscular even though I keep lifting weights. I see myself in the mirror and I can see that I don’t look like someone who has been working out for years and I’m not particularly attractive. There's nothing I can do about it - at least nothing I haven't already done and it's fine. But for goodness’ sake could people just SHUT UP when they look at me and don’t like what they see? There’s a great chance of that I know but could they just turn away and look at something or someone they find aesthetically pleasing? So instead of the ‘oh you look so thin’ remark with the tone that suggests disapproval, could they just keep their mouths shut or actually say something nice. Not a lie. I don’t expect anyone to remark how well I look when they don’t mean it but surely there are other things about a person other than his/her appearance that might be worthy of a compliment.

Those of you who have been criticised for being ‘too thin’ or ‘too bulky’ or too anything really, you have my sympathy.