A Sweet Way To Eat Your Beans & Veg - Brownie Batter Hummus

Lea has created a monster!

Awhile back she posted a link to a chocolate hummus recipe. I’ve been a hummus making fool since then, adapting the concept of hummus (bean, fat, liquid, flavorings) to create various sweet spreads. It's great on toast, pancakes, fresh fruit, standing in front of the fridge with a spoon - the possibilities are endless!

The first one I wanted to share is a take on chocolate hummus. Please don’t be put off by the beets. Beets actually compliment the flavor of chocolate! One of the best chocolate cake recipes I have uses pureed beets; and it’s not because it’s trying to be healthy!

Ingredients:

1 15.5 can of black beans (439g) – drained and rinsed until the water runs clear

1/4 C peanut butter (62g) – I used powdered

1/4 C date paste (81g) OR maple syrup (65g)

1/4 C cocoa powder (25g) I prefer Dutched, but natural will work.

1/3 – 1/2 C chopped beets (57g – 75g) Make sure whatever form you use – canned, boiled, roasted - it will puree smoothly.

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon of caramel extract (optional)

1/4 – 1/2 C black coffee (62ml - 125ml)

Directions:

Place everything but the coffee in a food processor and pulse until slightly combined.

With the processor running, slowly pour the coffee in a little at a time. You will want to scrape down the sides and check the consistency a couple of times. Sometimes I use the full 1/2 cup of coffee and sometimes it’s closer to 1/4 cup. You want it about the consistency of well whipped mashed potatoes. I like mine pretty thick. Once you have the consistency correct, let the processor go a good 5 minutes to get it nice and smooth.

IMPORTANT – this spread will not taste all that great when you’re done. Resist the urge to try and flavor it to your liking just yet. YOU HAVE TO LET IT SIT IN A COVERED BOWL, IN THE FRIDGE FOR AT LEAST 6 HOURS for the flavors to mature. It actually gets better the longer it sits.

Substitutions I’ve tried:

Beans: Garbanzo and Cannellini will work too. I prefer the flavor profile black beans provide.

Fats: Any nut butter should work. I've done this spread with peanut butter and almond butter. I used powdered peanut butter because I'm watching my healthy fat intake. Mashed avocado would probably be great here.

Sweetener - I've used maple syrup, I just prefer the additional fiber and nutrients from dates.

Liquids - I've made this with nut milks and instant coffee. I prefer coffee because it deepens the flavor of the chocolate. Plus, it's a good way to use that last bit I never drink in the morning.

Extracts/spices: I added orange zest one time, it was awesome! Almond extract works too. You could do mint, chili powder - the sky is the limit!

Disclaimer: I love this stuff! My son will eat it, but doesn't ask for it. My husband did not like it because he said it reminded him of raw brownie batter - I'm like, "and that's a problem because...".

Happy Healthy Eating Everyone!

Edited