Dwindling Energy, HIIT No Longer a Hit

Now that I can’t finish FB Abs round 2 this week as I managed to injure my elbow a couple of days ago, I had a little time to think things over.

I have had a slight aversion to HIIT for a while now. When I started working out with FB, I couldn’t imagine not doing HIIT. It boosted my metabolism, made me feel more energetic and focused but nowadays there are times when I positively dread doing it. My job is mind-numbingly boring, (can’t change it at present) I spend too much time getting to and from work (I have to use public transport) which could contribute to my lack of energy but then I read comments about other Blenders doing not only one but two programmes at the same time while expressing their wish to work out more than ‘just’ 30-35 minutes a day, and I wonder what I’m doing wrong.

There are so many things I’d love to do apart from rushing home from work to squeeze in a relatively short workout routine before I start cooking my lunch for the following day or my dinner or do some housework. I’d love to learn languages, learn more about the world and the universe, hike, take up a new hobby etc. Then my Mum asks me what I’d do if I had children. I honestly don’t know.

Maybe I’m just terrible at managing my time but I don’t want to feel compelled to work out 5 times a week no matter what. I also don’t want to feel bad about it. Or worse, feel like a loser if I don’t do at least one 1000-calorie routine every month or work out over 45 minutes almost every day. I do like working out even though I prefer strength training nowadays. I do see some result even if I’m the only one :) and I definitely don't want to lose what I've achieved.

I really don’t mean to make anyone who works out every day for more than half an hour feel guilty or defensive. On the contrary. How on earth do you do it? How do you have the energy to work out, raise children, and do all the seemingly invisible chores without feeling burned out? Has anyone ever felt like this?