An Ode to My Fat Pants

Hi Blenders! I wanted to celebrate a non-scale victory I had today with all of you:

I got rid of my fat pants.

Not because they're now too big for me. In fact, I can barely squeeze into them.

When I bought them back in college, I was a little depressed. They fit me like a dream, but it was the largest size of pants I'd ever owned. Throughout high school, I wore size 0 and skinny jeans so tight they left bruises on my hips.

I finally gave in and bought this pair of jeans on a shopping trip with some friends, but I secretly swore that it was just a temporary solution. I'd be back to the hip-bruising size 0 of my younger days soon enough.

And eventually, this new pair of jeans did become too big. I lost a large amount of weight in a short amount of time due to some very unhealthy habits. I was underweight, and I couldn't wear the jeans anymore because they slid off me when I walked.

But I still wasn't satisfied. I still looked at pictures of myself and lamented my belly pooch and love handles and upper arms. The number on the scale was lower than any doctor would recommend, but I wasn't happy or healthy.

Then a few more sources of stress came into my life as I went to grad school and then moved abroad for the second time. Suddenly I couldn't pull on my fat pants anymore. I buried them in my wardrobe and tried to forget I even owned them.

Last June, I committed again to trying to live a healthier lifestyle and have been trying to eat clean and work out regularly since then. This weekend, I looked in the mirror and thought, "You know what? I kind of like how I look."

But those pants! They still sat in the back of my wardrobe to remind me of a time I had sworn that that was the fattest I'd ever be.

I can squeeze into them again, but they aren't very comfortable. They don't make me feel good.

I realized that a part of me still thought, "If these pants aren't falling off me like they once did, I'm still not thin enough."

So today, I put them in a plastic bag and tossed them into a donation bin.

Yeah, the number on the scale is larger, and I've still got thunder thighs. But they aren't just thunder thighs. They're sumo squat thighs. They're star jump thighs. They're deadlift thighs.

I have a lot of good memories with those jeans, but that chapter in my life is closed now. My shape and my mindset have changed, and that's a good thing. It's still a struggle to get rid of old ideas of what it means to be "skinny" or "fat," but I feel better knowing that now I won't have to worry about how one silly pair of jeans makes me feel.

How about you guys? Have you gotten rid of any "fat" pants or "goal" pants that were holding you back?

Edited