A
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Overweight due to muscle weight?

Hi everyone,

I have been wondering about this for a few months now and hoping you guys here would share your knowledge, opinions and suggestions on this. Is it ok to be overweight/high BMI if it could be because of increase in muscle content in the body? Would there be similar consequences on overall health particularly joint pains, sleep apnea etc?

I'm 34 years old and just 5 feet tall. I started FB in April, 2018 and completed several programs until now. My weight was 133 lbs (my highest ever) back in April. Now, it is around 139-140 lbs. I have tracked my diet closely and eat a clean diet most of the time. The only thing I could improve is to eat a little more protein. My initial goal was to get my weight under 125 lbs but I can't believe it is steadily increasing. I've stopped FB videos (even though I love the workout programs so much) for the last 3 weeks and I'm just doing brisk walking for an hour or so which obviously isn't helping either. I've scheduled Burn 2 next week but I'm really confused on what is the best approach.

Should I just ignore the scale completely and just focus on diet and regular exercise? I've seen my Mom suffer with weight issues, sleep apnea, knee joint pains most of her life and I really don't want to get to that point. 9 years ago I used to be around 110 lbs even with a sedentary lifestyle and a bad diet. I know I can't compare my metabolism from that time to now but even with setting realistic goals of 125 lbs for myself I can't seem to achieve it which is frustrating and demotivating.

The most recent program I did was Strong in December. Should I just assume all the weight increase is due to muscle gain and keep going? Are there any known long term effects of being overweight due to higher muscle %. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited