E

Badly sprained ankle :(

For several months now I've been struggling a lot with exercise addiction, disordered eating, hypothalamic amenorrhea, and an overall obsession with weight and numbers. I haven't taken time off exercise since I started with fitnessblender nearly a year ago. I've been tired, busy, stressed, sick, underweight, etc and it's never stopped me from getting in a "workout complete" (at the very least) four days a week every single week.

Well, this morning I ended up badly spraining my ankle. I was doing an upper body routine and decided to do some jumping jacks in between strength training intervals to keep my heart rate up. Unfortunately, I ended up tripping into the coffee table and rolling my ankle. It was pretty painful at first, but considering I only had a few minutes left of the video and the pain seemed to dissipate quickly, I continued on and finished it up. By the time I had showered, gotten ready for the day, and drove to school, my ankle was painfully swollen, numb, and nearly impossible to bear weight on.

For a long time now I've associated my worth with numbers: my weight, how many calories I burned in a workout, how much I ate, how many steps I took, etc etc. I know that this injury is only temporary and I WILL heal and get back to my normal workouts, but I also know that the next few weeks will be incredibly challenging mentally. I'll have to sit, to rest, and to not constantly move around--it's crazy how much I'm already missing exercise! My mind is screaming at me to at least try to walk, attempt to do something low impact, do any possible workout I can. On the other hand, though, I know my body needs rest. For a while, I just need to let myself be. Ice the injury, keep it elevated, use my crutches, and make sure I'm eating good food to nourish my body.

I don't know if this sounds crazy, but I seriously feel like this injury is the universe forcing me to rest, forcing me to take care of myself for a little while. I definitely want to still try to work on some upper body and ab training (and maybe some lower body pilates if at all possible), so if anyone has any workout recommendations, I'd be so appreciative! Otherwise I'm going to focus on stretching and maybe some light yoga as long as it doesn't involve weight-bearing. Any other advice about how to get through this injury--mentally and physically--would be lovely!